If you reside in a house that doesn't have a conventional HVAC system, you might have concerns about the costs and inconveniences associated with installing ductwork. Perhaps your home doesn't have enough space to accommodate HVAC vents, and you've resigned yourself to the idea that central air conditioning is not feasible for you. As a result, you may have started exploring the option of using window AC units strategically placed around your home.
Luckily, a solution is available for you: ductless air conditioning. Ductless mini splits offer unmatched versatility and numerous advantages that bring convenience and cost savings.
In this blog, we’ll explain how ductless mini splits work, their benefits, and the drawbacks of window AC units.
Interested in a ductless AC? Call George Brazil!
George Brazil, Phoenix's most trusted HVAC company, is here to help. Most of our ductless installs are finished up in just one day. Plus, we offer low and no-interest financing plans, long-term warranty options, and a 100% satisfaction guarantee on all mini-split installations. For 5-star service, call us at (602) 842-0009 or book below.
How Ductless Mini-Splits Work
Ductless mini-split systems operate similarly to traditional ducted systems but with greater efficiency. While both systems consist of an interior unit and an exterior compressor, the way they deliver cold air differs significantly.
In a ductless system, each mini-split unit blows air independently instead of distributing it through large ducts in the ceiling. The interior unit is connected to the exterior unit through conduits that pass through a small hole drilled into the wall. The interior unit has evaporator coils that extract heat and moisture from the indoor air.
The collected heat is transferred to the refrigerant in the lines, causing it to turn into gas. This heated gas is then carried through the conduits to the exterior unit and dispersed across the condenser coils. The condensing unit fan blows air onto the coils, releasing the heat into the outdoors and cooling the refrigerant. The cooled refrigerant is then returned to the interior unit's evaporator coils to initiate the cycle again. The end result is a refreshing blast of cold air that helps maintain a comfortable indoor temperature.
A noteworthy advantage of ductless mini-split systems is that a single exterior can handle multiple interior units. Additionally, these systems are available in various sizes, allowing customization to meet your specific cooling needs.
Benefits of Going Ductless
Ductless mini split AC systems offer several benefits that make them a popular choice for Arizona homeowners looking for an efficient cooling and heating solution, including:
- Energy Efficiency: Ductless systems are highly energy-efficient. They eliminate the energy losses typically associated with ductwork, as air is directly delivered from the indoor unit to the desired space. Additionally, ductless mini splits use inverter-driven compressors that adjust their speed to maintain consistent temperatures, resulting in optimized energy consumption and lower utility bills.
- Customized Comfort: Each indoor unit of a ductless system operates independently, allowing you to create personalized climate zones. This means you can adjust temperatures according to specific preferences for different areas or rooms in your home, ensuring individualized comfort for everyone.
- Easy Installation: Ductless systems are relatively easy to install compared to traditional HVAC systems that require extensive ductwork. The indoor and outdoor units are connected by a small conduit, requiring only a small hole in the wall. This streamlined installation process minimizes disruption to your home and daily routine.
- Flexibility: Ductless mini splits offer flexibility in terms of placement. The indoor units are compact and can be mounted on walls, suspended from ceilings, or placed on the floor. This versatility allows for efficient space utilization and aesthetic integration with your home's interior design.
- Zoning Capability: With ductless systems, you have precise control over which areas receive conditioned air. This zoning capability eliminates the need to cool or heat unused rooms, resulting in further energy savings and enhanced comfort.
- Improved Indoor Air Quality: Ductless systems feature advanced filtration systems that help remove airborne pollutants, allergens, and dust particles, resulting in cleaner and healthier indoor air quality. This is especially beneficial for individuals with respiratory conditions or allergies.
- Quiet Operation: Ductless mini splits are known for their quiet operation. The indoor units are designed with sound-dampening technology, ensuring a peaceful, undisturbed environment.
- Versatility: Ductless systems can provide both cooling and heating, making them a year-round solution for your home's comfort needs. They offer efficient cooling during hot seasons and can efficiently heat your space during colder months.
Drawbacks of Window AC Units
While window AC units may initially appear cost-effective for addressing the climate control needs of your ductless home, it's essential to consider several drawbacks before making a decision. Despite their convenience and relatively lower upfront cost, there are significant factors to consider.
One of the primary drawbacks is the loss of usable window space. Installing a window AC unit means sacrificing the window for the unit's placement, which can be problematic if you enjoy the view or natural light. Additionally, window AC units are not aesthetically pleasing, especially from the exterior, and can negatively impact your home's curb appeal.
Moreover, since a portion of the unit hangs outside the window, the unit is likely to become loose and fall, particularly if it is installed on a second-story window. This presents a potential safety hazard.
Like other types of air conditioners, window units produce condensed water that needs to be drained. However, due to the limited placement options offered by window AC units, the drainage may end up in an inconvenient location, leading to water accumulation or potential damage.
Furthermore, window AC units can compromise home security by creating a more accessible entry point for intruders. While taking additional measures to minimize this risk is possible, it cannot be entirely eliminated.
Considering these drawbacks, it is important to carefully evaluate the overall impact on aesthetics, functionality, safety, and security before choosing window AC units as your primary cooling solution. Exploring alternative options, such as ductless mini split systems, may offer a more comprehensive and beneficial approach to meeting your home's climate control needs.
Are you ready to take the plunge into air conditioning without ducts?
George Brazil Heating & Cooling has been serving the AC needs of homeowners since 1955 and is Phoenix's most trusted HVAC company. We make it a point to treat every customer like family, and our 100% satisfaction guarantee always backs our work. Find out why our company has over 2,000 5-star reviews by contacting us to discuss your mini split options.